Professor Media Matters

I am a media professional with 6 years as a TV producer and reporter, and college professor in the field of Communications. I am also a Conservative with a passion for pop culture. This will be my attempt to put the "me" in media. It will be my take on movies, TV, books, magazines, newspapers, the Internet and all that is the worldwide media.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

ROMANTIC RESCUE

Yesterday's "how we met" blog was well received so I will continue the tale of my love story with my wife in today's post.

After a fun and frantic week of daily phone and email contact, Stephanie and I decided to meet for the first time. Honestly, I wasn't that nervous because we had connected so well in the last week that I felt like I already knew her. So it didn't have that blind date nervousness to it. That is one of the advantages of online dating: you get to know the person electronically before meeting them in person.

We decided to meet after work on a Wednesday night. As a smart, single girl Stephanie of course drove her own car so she had a way to escape if necessary. And she insisted we meet in public. That was fine because that is what I had in mind as well. We settled on an ice cream date at a Baskin-Robbins near her home.

I ordered my all time favorite, a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. She made a good impression on me by ordering the same thing. We had a good time drinking our shakes, talking and walking around the outdoor shopping complex. She told me about a horrendous date experience she had previously.

The guy turned out to be a real jerk. After agreeing to meet her at the movie theater he excused himself to use the restroom and then bailed on her. I felt really bad for her. Though we had not planned on going to the movies on our first date, I knew this was my chance to make a romantic impression. I already knew I liked her based on our online and phone interactions. So I offered to take her to the same movie that Wednesday night. I told her I would never be the kind of guy who would leave her stranded. What I really wanted to do for her was take a bad memory and give it a happy ending.

Well, it worked. I talked her into going to the movies with me. We saw the same movie she had planned to see with the jerk, LXG: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It was a fun, action-adventure flick and we had a nice time. Plus I got a kiss on the end of our first date for my romantic rescue of a miserable memory.

I was hooked. And so was she. And that was 9 happy years ago this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home