Professor Media Matters

I am a media professional with 6 years as a TV producer and reporter, and college professor in the field of Communications. I am also a Conservative with a passion for pop culture. This will be my attempt to put the "me" in media. It will be my take on movies, TV, books, magazines, newspapers, the Internet and all that is the worldwide media.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

PARKER TICKET



In honor of Autism Awareness Month, I am posting a devotional from my book about my son, Parker's Story: Essays on Autism and Awesometism.

KEY VERSE:

Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

ESSAY:

City of Sacramento
PARKER TICKET

Date: 5/2/06
Location: Sutter Memorial Hospital, 5151 F Street
Time: 8:47 AM
Violation: C-Section

License: 19.5 IN., 8 LBS., 15 OZ.
Fine: A lifetime of expenses
Sentence: 18 years (at least) of blessings with Parker Drew Seiber

Officer: Dr. Huiga

Violators: Mr. & Mrs. Seiber

            This is one of the ways I announced Parker’s birth to our family and friends. Instead of a parking ticket, I posted Parker tickets. As expensive as traffic violations like a parking ticket can be, they never equal the expenses of raising a child.

            All kidding aside, please know that along with the expense, there is also joy in raising a child. God promises us that. He says in the Psalms that children are a blessing from the Lord. So don’t just focus on the inconveniences children bring in to our lives without also announcing their arrival and celebrating their lives, too.
ABOUT AUTISM:

            Notice this birth announcement did not mention his health concerns. This was a joyous occasion. There would be plenty of opportunities later to fill people in and ask them to pray about his health concerns. That was a personal choice my wife and I made to celebrate our son and leave his health and well-being in God’s hands.

APPLICATION:

            Think of someone in your life who has just recently had a baby. If you are like me, you can immediately think of several from church or work who have been blessed with a newborn. The next time you are out and about, buy something for that child. It doesn’t have to be elaborate or expensive. It could be a toy, or diapers or a cute onesie. Help that family celebrate their new child. And pray for them and the healthy physical and spiritual development of the newest addition to their family.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home